Thursday, May 14, 2015

Back to work

At 3:55 yesterday, my Deputy Director and I talked about how this might be the day where no one came to chapel service. At 4 pm we had 12 people from Florida, Illinois, British Columbia and Sweden. It has certainly been a joy to lead worship for people from all over the world!


Tuesday and Wednesday were quiet days. I worked on some artwork, prepared my message for chapel service, and wandered the local cemeteries. I admit that I may be a little weird. But it is really a holy place for me. The little statue (pictured above) was on one of the graves. I felt that she embodied a grief that was painful but still contained hope.


Each grave is maintained by the family. So as long as someone is attentive, they are each like little gardens. Unfortunately, when no one remains to tend the space, it gets overgrown.


And even more startling what happens if no one cares or pays anymore. I found this pile in the back of one cemetery. Some of those are gravestones! 


After chapel I caught a presentation at the Rathaus (old city hall). The school children had created artwork that is based in the work of Lucas Cranach (an artist and contemporary of Martin Luther). This little fourth grader created her lovely piece, and it was chosen to be displayed. It is wonderful to see how the local people are integrating the incredible history of this region into their own educational system.



No comments:

Post a Comment