Sunday, May 17, 2015

Last day in Lutherstadt Wittenberg

We enjoyed a special service at the Stadtkirche this morning. The service was in German, but I didn't have to understand it to see how special it was as we witnessed the adult baptism of a young father. We also had the pleasure of hearing from a traveling choir and a trio of two trumpets and a saxophone. And I finally had the pleasure of meeting the pastor from the Stadtkirche, Pastor Kristin Jahn. 

The elaborate bronze baptismal font in the Stadtkirche was cast by Hermann Vischer in Nurnberg in 1457. On the legs are Peter, Paul, John and Andrew. It also contains a center drain to drain away all evil spirits, leaving only life as sent by God. During World War II, the font was buried so it would not be stolen or destroyed. Karl is standing beside the font to show its size. They bring in the platform behind it on baptism days.


Our former exchange student spent part of the day with us warming up with coffee in a local cafe and enjoying bockwurst and kuchen from the street vendors here for the Blumen Fest.

After Christian left Wittenberg by train, Karl and I walked out to the Elbe River, by the cookie factory (Wikana), and through the Luther Garden. It was a great way to spend our last day in this beautiful town.

I want to introduce a couple more friends from my time here...

Rev. Dr. Hanna Kasparick is the Director of the Evangelischen Predigerseminar (German Seminary) that is located here in Wittenberg. She has been at several of the events I attended in my time here. She is gracious and welcoming, and I am very glad that we are both in ministry even if it is on different continents! 


Dr. Kathryn (Kit) Kleinhans is another friend from my time here. Kit teaches at Wartburg College in Iowa. She attended many of our worship services. But more importantly, she knows enough German to answer all my crazy questions! I am thankful for Kit. I hope we see each other again soon, and we don't have to wait until we run into each other in Germany again!


Tomorrow we leave early by train for Dresden for the day. Tomorrow night will be our last sleep in Wittenberg. It has gone fast, and I am so grateful for this wonderful opportunity! I have learned so much about the town, the people, the history, and about myself. Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment