Saturday, May 2, 2015

First worship in St. Marien Stadtkirche

It was pretty busy around Wittenberg today (Saturday). It was the annual Radstadt bike races. There were all kinds of riders here. The races ran all afternoon. My favorite was the smaller kids (5-7 years old).



The last place starter and finisher. He rides with his buddy strapped to his handlebars! His determination made me smile!
The big event for me today was preaching in the Town Church (St. Marien Stadtkirche). I was really nervous, and I am so thankful for your prayers. I could certainly feel your support! The service went well, except my sermon notes (1 page - no script!) fell on the floor near the end of my sermon. I improvised. And there were some random microphone noises during the prayers (not from me!). But the worship went on. There were people from all over the world and even several Wittenberg residents in attendance. We finished the service as we finish all of them here in Wittenberg; we sang "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God." The postlude by the organist after the benediction included variations on that melody. It was amazing!

The Cranach tryptich above the altar was painted during Luther's time. When we were in Wittenberg two years ago, it was being restored so we never got to see it. It is so much more impressive than any photograph or likeness of it.

There are pictures on the back of it too. These were uncovered in the mid-1800s during a previous renovation. Each picture is full of symbols and people from Wittenberg. The Lord's Supper in the middle includes Luther (dressed as Junker George), Lucas Cranach "the younger," and Hans Lufft (who published the complete German bible in 1534).

This area is usually roped off so it was very humbling to get up that close to the altar and the painting.

The stole had to be borrowed from the ELCA office here. The stoles from previous years have not been located yet.

It's good that God keeps working in spite of all our human glitches!

The sacristy at the Stadtkirche.


Tonight was a concert by Lost and Found in the beautiful, new Stadthaus. It is small convention center that has just opened. The concert was a lot of fun -- and yes, I should have brought a slinky! They sang their song for the upcoming ELCA Youth Gathering in Detroit. I loved it, and George and Michael told me they already won an award for it! Sad note:  they told me this is their farewell tour. As George said, "It's about time for us to go out and get real jobs."

If you are still reading this blog, thanks! And here's a little reward:  I think I found Sasquatch. At least he must have been here in the past. This carving was on the wall just outside the sacristy. It sure looks like the one on the Jack Link's commercials! :)

Go in peace, serve the Lord. (Sorry, it's a pastor habit!)


2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize Sasquatch was so old. No wonder he's grumpy! Stay safe
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  2. And did you know he was Lutheran???? :)

    ReplyDelete