Tuesday, May 12, 2015

What I've Learned...

I had several goals for this trip:

1.  Wish Warren Loberg a happy 91st birthday from the banks of the Elbe River
2.  Preach and lead worship in Luther's church
3.  Get to know some of the local Wittenberg residents
4.  Take some day trips to experience more of the area
5.  Learn more about Luther and others who played key roles in the Reformation

As I head into my last week here, all of these have been accomplished. I have three more chapel services and one more Saturday worship in the Town Church. I have one more Englische Stammtisch to see some of the local people and meet new visitors. My son will arrive on Saturday evening (provided he makes all flight and train connections)! 

All of that is well and good. But the reason I am writing this post today is because of the things I have learned that were unexpected and not on my goal list! Here it goes...

1.  I can bike 40 kilometers and still walk the next day! This was such an amazing adventure with my Deputy Director Beth. I spent the first portion of the trip praying that I would make it  back. Then my prayer became: "Please let me get to the point Beth wanted us to reach!" (At one point, I even talked to her about turning back early!) Then my prayer became: "Thank you, God, for this most amazing day!" Once I stopped worrying if I could do it, I began to live into the moment and notice the wonderful things around me. I smiled at the sound of the cuckoos who live in the trees along the Elbe River. (And in my head I was singing the song from the Sound of Music.) I greeted the people we met on our bikes. I noticed the different kinds of trees here. I felt the sun on my back and the breeze in my face, and for that moment, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

2.  It was about half way through the concert at the Stadtkirche St. Marien's (Town Church) on Friday night that I also realized that I was present in that moment and again, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. The concert began with 30 minutes of speeches in German. I could not understand a word, and I didn't even try. And then another 30 minutes later, I realized something pretty unusual for me. I was simply present. I felt the music. I watched the incredible passion of the musicians. I sat in awe of their skill, but I also sat in awe of where I happened to be at that moment. I did not wish the moment away. I was not planning anything else. I was not making any kind of a to-do list. I was not holding (much) tension or stress in my shoulders. This is very unlike me! Usually, I have such a hard time being in the moment. My mind just whirls with all the mental things I am trying to juggle. I realized that this time in Wittenberg has renewed that sense of presence in me. 

3.  I watched a TED Talk recently by Jill Bolte Taylor. She is a neuroanatomist (brain researcher) who experienced a debilitating stroke. In her talk, she described what it was like to have the analytic, structured, linear side of her brain shut down by the stroke. As I listened, I realized that what I have been doing recently is living completely in that analytic, structured, linear side of my brain. And in the process, I have been missing any connection to the creative, artistic side of my brain. While I have been here in Wittenberg, I have been working with my limited supplies on hand to do something creative. Pinterest calls it Zendoodling. I call it praying with the creative side of my brain. I choose one word to draw and then let my mind rest in that as I create.


I was thinking that it has been such a gift to have the time to do this. But what I have learned is that I need to make the time to do this. The gift is the peace and time I have with God while I do it. 

4. The final thing I have learned (for today) is that laughter is universal. I was doing a little shopping this afternoon. I usually tune everyone out because I cannot understand the German anyway, but today when another woman in the store laughed, the first thing that popped in my mind was that I had heard English. Instead, I had just heard her laughter. It was familiar. It was lovely. It was universal. And it made my heart rest in that. 

I know I am never to old to learn. But I am still surprised at all that I have learned about myself on this trip. Thank you, God, for this most amazing time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment